[Peace-discuss] Tires Plus: Expect meanness, respond with kindness or disengagement

Morton K.Brussel brussel at staff.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 19 09:34:32 CST 2003

I get the impression that we are becoming overly timid. I'm referring
to the question of whether it should be promulgated  that Tires Plus is
antagonistic, or worse, to the anti-war movement. I believe that there
are instances where you have to know your antagonists as distinct from
those who are uncommitted to the war issue, or committed by
mistake—i.e., by ignorance. Should Israeli goods be boycotted? Many
believe this to be an effective way to affect Israel's governmental
policies. Should we have boycotted the apartheid South Africa's goods?
Should we be afraid of criticizing, harshly, George W. Bush,  Cheney,
Rumsfeld et al, lest we offend people who believe that they are
honorable men? Should we be afraid to condemn corporations that that
support the weapons industry, or who give funds to politicians to do
that and support war? Should we be nice to avowed racists, e.g.,
businesses that discriminate against ethnic groups?

There are many people whose minds about war in Iraq you will not be
able to change. Many of these believe that those against war are
traitors to their country, contemptible peace-nics.  You can ascribe
their war-like tendencies to various causes, trust in their leaders,
for example, but they exist.  I don't think that special consideration
needs to be extended to these types; rather non-violent militancy
against them is in order. You can try to convince them otherwise, but
you should be firm that you will oppose them for their inimical
actions. Gandhi had no scruples about severely condemning the British
in India before independence. Nor did Martin Luther King worry about
offending the southern mentality of segregation.

I look at the managers/owners of Tires Plus in this light. I do not
think we need be timid about saying that they have been more than
unfriendly to our efforts. It is entirely conceivable that we could
gain respect by not being so timid. It is also conceivable that Tires
Plus might become less aggressive to us if they knew that there would
be economic costs involved.

I haven't decided whether a letter to the N-G is appropriate for what
has transpired between us and Tires Plus, but I am tempted to let the
public know what has happened.

As for the comment that signs such as "Bomb Texas" are used by our
opponents [The N-G] against us, perhaps. That may be a tactical error,
but a good political point was being made, if perhaps too
belligerently.  Let's not discourage the diversity of our sentiments
and metaphors.

Mort Brussel

Preferred email: brussel at uiuc.edu

Morton K. Brussel