[Peace-discuss] Tires Plus: Expect meanness, respond with kindness or disengagement

Charlotte Green chgreen48 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 10:50:04 CST 2003

I agree that we have to be firm and hold fast to our
anti-war message.  We are doing so by showing up week
after week to demonstrate our opposition in front of
Tires Plus.

I think Carl's phone call is not a timid move--he is
confronting our opposition in a respectful manner and
offering to discuss the issues.  I think sending a
letter indicating that we respect the property of
Tires Plus and asking for their respect for our right
to demonstrate, which is an integral part of living in
a democracy, as well as the reasons why we oppose the
war, is right on track.

I think a boycott would be counterproductive.  It
seems to me that a boycott would be a retaliatory
move, which would only give people (Tires Plus and
others) reason to retaliate against us.  Our anti-war
message would be overshadowed.

If we operate by a higher standard than our
opposition, people will be drawn to our cause.

Charlotte

-