[Peace-discuss] A key development in anti-war media coverage

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 19 16:12:56 CST 2003

I just saw a CNN spot on "Inside Politics" reporting on the upcoming Oct.
26th "Virtual March on Washington" campaign by the Win Without War
coalition. Not only did they describe the campaign and flash the website
(www.moveon.org), but they played the associated TV ads that aren't even
scheduled to run until tomorrow. This is the first instance I've seen of an
anti-war campaign actually being advertised in advance by corporate media. A
whole week in advance, no less. Wow.

 I've also seen a report that CNN added an anti-war beat, probably as a
result of the Feb. 15 demonstrations. This suggests the possibility that the
next large worldwide marches will receive significant advance coverage in
the mainstream media. We can only hope.

By the way, I've been keeping tabs on "Win Without War" and this very
mainstream coalition (which includes moveon.org and the National Council of
Churches) looks like it may wind up having some serious traction in coming
weeks and months. Getting this kind of advance coverage on CNN is an
impressive accomplishment that may only be the first of many.