[Peace-discuss] Effective actions

paul michael king pmking at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 19 18:30:32 CST 2003

> protests are about effective action.  They aren't about us and our
> personal need to vent...

> ..and I don't think you'll really get--in the long run--the emotional
> release y're looking for......

I don't agree. I am dubious of any action that is purely ideologically
based. From a theoretical/ideological point of view, I don't believe any
of us are any more "right" about how the world "should" be than any other.

Consequently, I do not involve myself in activities based entirely on
their rational appeal to the values I hold. Action, for me, follows from
the heart. I must feel, viscerally and uneqivocally, that they are right.
Such action should not be misconstrued as merely a "personal need to vent"
or an "emotional release". This may seem like a fine disctinction, but it
it is an important one that should be acknowledged. It makes all the
difference in the world.

Very Respectfully,
Paul