[Peace-discuss] Why Hasn't Saddam Killed Us All? by Doug Bandow

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Thu Feb 20 18:17:32 CST 2003

Why Hasn't Saddam Killed Us All?
by Doug Bandow

Doug Bandow is a senior fellow with the Cato Institute and a syndicated
columnist.

We all should be dead. At least, we all should be dead if the administration
is correct about Saddam Hussein. It believes there is nothing today that
prevents a weak and isolated Iraq from striking the United States, the
world's dominant power.

Recently, before the U.N. Security Council, Secretary of State Colin Powell
proved what we all already knew: Saddam Hussein has worked to develop weapons
of mass destruction. But would Baghdad really use such weapons when doing so
would risk its own survival?

Powell suggested that the pragmatic secular dictator has made common cause
with the suicidal religious fanatic. Alas, even the pro-war Economist
magazine pronounced it "the weakest part of the case for war."

The administration points to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, whom it links to al-Qaeda
and who received medical treatment in Baghdad. The Ansar al-Islam group is
said to include al-Qaeda soldiers and have established a poisons training
camp.

It's not clear how much credence to give to information gleaned from American
captives, however. They could hope to win favor with their interrogators or
provoke another conflict with America.

Moreover, al-Zarqawi's ties to al-Qaeda are thin -- it is not a rigid
organization with a well-defined membership. German intelligence says
al-Zarqawi's al-Tawhid organization is more like an affiliate, and one
focused on the Palestinians (and Jordan), not the United States. An American
intelligence analyst argues that al-Zarqawi "is outside bin Laden's circle.
He is not sworn al-Qaeda."

The alleged link to Baghdad is especially threadbare: al-Zarqawi has worked
more closely with Iran, also visited Lebanon and Syria, and been aided by a
member of the royal family of Qatar. One German intelligence officer told The
New York Times: "As of yet we have seen no indication of a direct link
between (al) Zarqawi and Baghdad."

Nor is there solid evidence that either Saddam or Osama bin Laden supports
Ansar al-Islam. In fact, the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz reports that the
group is tied to Iran.

Ansar al-Islam asserts a desire to overthrow Saddam to impose an Islamic
theocracy and is operating in territory no longer under Baghdad's control
because of America's "no-fly zone" policy. As for the alleged poisons lab,
even many Kurds say that they haven't heard of it.

Although the allegations are dubious, the administration has brought enormous
pressure to bear on intelligence agencies to prove them. Yet the CIA and FBI
remain skeptical.

Of Secretary Powell's claims, one intelligence official told The New York
Times: "We just don't think it's there."

The Blair government has done little better. A recent British intelligence
report concludes that "any fledgling relationship foundered due to mistrust
and incompatible ideology."

Alleged connections between Baghdad and al-Qaeda must be viewed as inherently
suspect.

"They are natural enemies," observes Daniel Benjamin, a former National
Security Council staff member.

The biggest problem with the theory, however, is the fact that we are still
alive. If there was a link, we all, or at least a lot of us, should be dead.

Last October, the president declared that Iraq could attack America or its
allies "on any given day" with chemical or biological weapons. But Saddam has
not attacked. Or, explained President Bush: "Iraq could decide on any given
day to provide a biological or chemical weapons to a terrorist group." But
Saddam has not done so.

Apparently Saddam wants to stay alive. He understands that an attack, direct
or indirect, would trigger overwhelming, annihilating retaliation.

However much he hates America, he doesn't want to die. As CIA Director Tenet
put it last October: Iraq "for now appears to be drawing a line short of
conducting terrorist attacks with conventional or chemical or biological
weapons."

Alas, the administration is pursuing the one course that will eliminate this
deterrence. Attack Iraq, and Saddam has no incentive not to strike and then
hand off any remaining weapons to terrorists.

Notes Tenet: Facing defeat, Saddam "probably would become much less
constrained in adopting terrorist actions." Indeed, he might see helping
Islamists use such weapons against the United States as "his last chance to
exact vengeance by taking a large number of victims with him."

Saddam wouldn't even have to give an order. As Benjamin explains, "In the fog
of war, much of this material would rapidly be 'privatized' -- liberated by
colonels, security service operatives and soon-to-be unemployed scientists."

The best evidence that Iraq can be deterred is that we are alive today.
Unfortunately, seeking to oust Saddam removes any leverage to prevent him
from conducting the sort of attack that the administration claims to most
fear. Attacking Iraq will make more, and more dangerous, terrorist attacks
more likely.

This article was published in the Bangkok Post, Feb. 12, 2003.

 Send this page to a friend

 Printer Friendly Version

1000 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. Washington D.C. 20001-5403
Phone (202) 842-0200 Fax (202) 842-3490
All Rights Reserved © 2003 Cato Institute