[Peace-discuss] Kenneth Pollack on PBS Charlie Rose

pfmueth at ameritech.net pfmueth at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 21 23:17:10 CST 2003

At 10:24 AM -0800 2/21/03, David Green wrote:
>In Todayís NY Times, Kenneth Pollack writes a long,
>rambling article arguing that Saddam Hussein intends
>to do us all in, regardless of the implications for
>himself in Iraq. Among his accusations is one that
>Iíve never encountered before:
>
>ìThen, in October 2000, he dispatched five divisions
>to western Iraq. All of the evidence available to the
>American government indicated that, with the
>acquiescence of Damascus, he intended to move them
>through through Syria and into the Golan Heights. In
>response, Washington began preparing a military strike
>far greater than Desert Fox of 1999 (which itself
>prompted revolts throughout Iraq for six months), and
>the Israeli military planned its own crushing
>response. Only American and Saudi diplomatic
>intervention with Syria, combined with the Iraqi
>military's logistical problems, quashed the
>adventure.î
>
>The only reference I can find through a google search
>is this one, from the right wing Jerusalem Center for
>Public Affairs (Dore Gold, Moshe Arens, etc., hardline
>Likudniks):

This is right up there with the Sharon accusation that Hussain sent
his chemweapons to Syria, floated and never repeated or corroborated
..

Wonder if Rose will give Pollack a half hour ..

he's making rambling arguments in live conversation

He thinks we should blow Iraq away in two years

Tactical disagreement

Outrageous metaphors,

Pollack watch continues . .