[Peace-discuss] What we're not doing

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 23 13:45:17 CST 2003

[I got the following note from a guy in town to whom I'd mentioned our
favorite anti-war group.  He's not stupid, and the fact that he was quite
unaware of AWARE perhaps suggests some things we should be doing.
Regards, Carl]

...also, Carl, you say that the group is "quite active" but I am most
unimpressed.

1) no one has ever come to my door to talk to me about the current
political crisis. I should have people come every week.

2) I have never received a flier listing arguments for war and the
rebuttals, or serious criticisms of present policy. Such fliers should
show up everywhere.

3) I see very few posters up around town and around campus.

4) There are "No war in Iraq" posters in front of a few houses in town.
But as of this moment I have no idea where they come from. There should be
groups on campus and at all major places giving them away for a $1
donation.

5) There are several important issues at the moment, but giving
substantial contributions to candidates who stand for reason and NGOs who
do is by far the most effective. When the money starts to flow in, the
Taliban start to get nervous. Just sending e-mails to already chicken
congressmen is not enough. Stress should be put on "putting your money
where your mouth is"...

As always, ...