[Peace-discuss] co-sponsorship troubles

Jim Buell jbuell at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 19 16:55:39 CST 2003

I did a little Google searching of my own and came up with the article(s)
you evidently saw, Ricky. Stan Brin, a reporter with the Orange County
(Calif) Weekly - judging from its website an L.A.-area free paper along the
lines of our late Cityview - had a series of anti-Baker stories last
spring. The links (along with a few other stories by the same author) can
be found at:
http://www.ocweekly.com/searchlily.php?searchfor=stan+brin&searchin=all .
As the articles indicate, Brin seems to have been gotten most of his
information from the Anti-Defamation League. Large chunks of text are
identical in each of the articles, with different leads. Evidently the
articles had the effect of getting Baker booted from a position with
televangelist Robert Schuller.

Article titles include:

News: Das Boot! by Stan Brin
Crystal Cathedral evicts preacher with neo-Nazi ties
Published May 17 - 23, 2002

News: To Protect and Swerve by Stan Brin
Garden Grove police say their chaplain, a man with ties to neo-Nazis, is no
problem
Published April 5 - 11, 2002

News: Crystal Unclear by Stan Brin
Schuller probes adviser's neo-Nazi past
Published March 8 - 14, 2002

Cover: Hour of White Power by Stan Brin
Reverend Robert H. Schuller relies on a man with ties to Neo-Nazis to build
religious understanding
Published February 15 - 21, 2002

Baker's 1982 book, titled "Theft of a Nation" and self-published, is listed
as on the shelf at the UI Education library, by the way.

peace,
Jim