[Peace-discuss] soft-headed rhetoric

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 20 12:07:25 CST 2003

[The editor of the News-Gazette was fulminating yesterday against "any
soft-headed rhetoric (against attacking Iraq) emanating from ...
Hollywood," but here's some (from the NY Daily News) that seems pretty
good (even though I hated Clooney's last movie). --CGE]

George Clooney says President Bush would fit in just fine with New
Jersey's favorite crime family.  "The government itself is running exactly
like the Sopranos," he tells Charlie Rose tonight in a full-bore assault
on Dubya's foreign policy.

The "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" director says Bush has cut deals
with France and Russia so the UN Security Council won't complain when "we
go into a war [with Iraq] and kill a lot of innocent people."

Quips Clooney: "[Bush says,] 'France, you're getting the pipelines.'

"Are we going to try and talk [to Saddam Hussein] ... without jumping in
and killing people first?" asks Clooney. "I don't believe we're going to
wait until the last resort to do it. That's what bothers me."

Speaking of "Three Kings," his sardonic 1999 movie about Operation Desert
Storm, Clooney tells Rose, "you couldn't get [that] made now"...