[Peace-discuss] Fw: Thank you for your support

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Thu Jan 30 02:37:12 CST 2003

At 11:56 AM 1/29/2003 -0800, Ricky Baldwin wrote:
>Sounds like some anti-war emails are in order from
>those of us who haven't sent them yet!
>
>Thanks again to everyone who spoke Monday night, or
>worked on the resolution, and especially to Danielle
>for introducing it.  This is the debate we were hoping
>for.  Now let's get it through!
>
>Ricky

It's frustrating but not surprising that elements of the community are
organizing against the resolution, in advance of next Monday's Council
meeting. And as Ricky  notes, this is the debate we were hoping for.
Danielle, council members, and peace activists who have helped get us to
this point, thanks once again for your superb efforts. Ditto for the fine
folks on campus who put on yesterday's teach-in, then capped the day with a
victory on the resolution before the ISG. Matt & all, you folks are amazing.

I'd like to toss out a couple suggestions for the tough dialoguing ahead.
For one, Mark Leff remarked yesterday during his teach-in talk that beyond
even protesting the horrors of the looming Iraq bloodbath, our movement
needs to focus on the "Bush Doctrine" of preemptive war as a global
catastrophe in the making. The clearer we can make it that our opposition
doesn't stem from any love of Saddam Hussein or disrespect for this country
or individuals serving in the military, but from our conviction as to the
utter wrongness of engaging in unprovoked carnage aimed at remaking the
whole world in the corporate-boardroom image, the better ordinary Joes will
be able to appreciate where we're coming from and the harder it will be for
foes to marginalize us. Second, the particular pro-war faction that's
mobilizing locally seems to be coming out of the American Legion and VFW
halls;  military veterans who are opposed to the war would therefore seem
to be especially important voices to have raised in this debate. I'm
thinking for instance of the fine article in last Sunday's News-Gazette on
Doug Rokke - I really didn't expect to see anything that positive from an
N-G columnist like Tom Kacich. Anti-war activists with military experience
would, I think, be especially important to hear from at next Monday's
council meeting.

peace,
Jim