[Peace-discuss] Fw: Thank you for your support

Margaret E. Kosal nerdgirl at scs.uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 30 08:06:02 CST 2003

At 02:37 1/30/2003 -0600, Jim Buell wrote:
>I'd like to toss out a couple suggestions for the tough dialoguing ahead.
>For one, Mark Leff remarked yesterday during his teach-in talk that beyond
>even protesting the horrors of the looming Iraq bloodbath, our movement
>needs to focus on the "Bush Doctrine" of preemptive war as a global
>catastrophe in the making.

I will 2nd this!  Focus on specifics!
For instance, not just pre-emptive war but move to (1) pre-emptive use of
nuclear weapons, (2) use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear states, (3)
elevation of chemical & biological weapons (BW & CW agents) to the same
statute with the use of nuclear weapons, (4) introduction of "Robust Earth
Nuclear Penetrators", which are also known as "bunker busters" and are
small nuclear bombs.  No gravity-bomb or missile-propelled bomb can
penetrate far enough underground to contain nuclear fallout.

The (1), (2) & (4) were explicitly documented in the Dec 1999 Nuclear
Posture Review & in the Dec 2002 National Strategy to Combat Weapons of
Mass Destruction (along with the 3rd point): the US "... reserves the right
to respond with overwhelming force - including through resort to all of our
options - to the use of WMD against the United States, our forces abroad,
and our friends, and allies."  .... "In addition to our conventional and
nuclear response and defense capabilities, our overall deterrent posture
against WMD threats is reinforced by effective intelligence, survellance,
interdiction , and domestic law enforcement
capabilities."

Namaste,
Margaret