[Peace-discuss] veterans against war websites

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Thu Jan 30 05:17:36 CST 2003

I'm sure that Doug Rokke, Joe Miller of VVAW or other combat vets can do
far more than my bit of Google searching to acquaint us with this important
area, but here are a few eye-opening links that we may all want to know
about. I'll warn you - there's one here, featuring a war journalist's
photos from the Basra "highway of death" retreat monstrosity of Gulf War
One, that I haven't gone far into myself. (It's the sort of thing that
Robert Fisk describes in text, in another link below.)

War Veterans Gather To Stop A New War (Intervention Magazine, 11/11/02) -
http://www.interventionmag.com/cms/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=238

Veterans for Common Sense - http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/
(Among the links here, an interview from 1/28/03 Washington Post indicating
that even Norman Schwartzkopf opposes this war)

Ten Reasons Why Many Gulf War Veterans Oppose Re-Invading Iraq, By
Anonymous, AlterNet, September 9, 2002 -
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14067

Veterans for Peace - http://www.veteransforpeace.org/ (Among links here,
one to the video of Rumsfeld disparaging draftees' contributions to the
military, plus one to those great "No Iraq War" lawn signs)

Vietnam Veterans Against The War - http://www.vvaw.org/

Robert Fisk, The Guardian, 1/26/03: The human cost - 'Does Tony have any
idea what the flies are like that feed off the dead?' -
http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=372767

The Unseen Gulf War, by Peter Turnley (these are the photographs I
mentioned above; utterly grisly) -
http://dirckhalstead.org/issue0212/pt_intro.html

peace,
Jim