[Peace-discuss] [Peace] fearful fumors, I mean rumors (fwd)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 2 10:00:27 CDT 2003

[I'm re-posting Susan's important note to the peace-discuss list.  We need
to recognize how successful the government's campaign of fear has been.
Her note shows an all-too-common example of its effects.  It's not new --
after World War II, when the Truman administration wanted to initiate a
policy of military and political intervention (specifically in Greece and
Turkey) and knew the US populace would be reluctant, Senator Arthur
Vandenberg advised Truman to "scare hell out of the American people."
That's been the tactic since, usually in regard to communists.  Now
terrorists are the new communists, and both terms are remarkably elastic.
Terrorists can be Afghanistan and Iraq, now Iran and N. Korea.  Look for
the administration to "scare hell out of the American people" in regard to
the latter two between now and the 2004 election.]