[Peace-discuss] Buchanan on our side

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 2 11:18:37 CDT 2003

Some comments, Robert:

[1] We have to make a distinction between someone's general political view
and a position on a particular issue.  Thus I think Howard Dean's politics
are generally terrible, but he did (at least at one point) seem to oppose
the invasion of Iraq.  Same is more or less true of Buchanan.

[2] Buchanan is anti-immigrant but not necessarily a racist: he opposes
north European (and Irish) immigrants as well.

[3] The editors of CounterPunch are friends of mine, and I consider myself
quite close to their general political view (although I differ on
particular points -- see [1] above).  Their online journal publishes a
long list of people (including me), not all of whom they agree with
entirely.

[4] Cockburn (of CounterPunch), contrary to what you imply ("CounterPunch
went on this huge campaign of lies and deception against Lerner")
supported, if somewhat backhandedly, Lerner's speaking at the controverted
rally.  Cockburn writes of Lerner, "He's a flake, but on Israel,
considering the mostly awful spectrum of opinion here, he's often been
constructive."  (I'll post the piece separately -- it also contains a good
story about a well-known neocon.)

[5] I share your unwillingness to "coddle and cozy up to ... Buchanan,"
but as for calling him a fascist, the piece I posted yesterday suggests to
me that "fascist" is more accurately applied to elements in the neocon
group like Michael Ledeen -- who was attacked by Buchanan's magazine.
There is a difference -- and animosity -- between Buchanan's self-styled
conservatives and the neocons.  I'm opposed to both in general, but on
specifics we'll find more common ground with the former.

[6] Back to point [1].  Look at <antiwar.com>, a right-libertarian site
that has been far more outspoken and cogent in opposition to the attacks
on Iraq and Afghanistan (and in giving a critique of US/Israeli
oppression) than many self-styled "progressive" anti-warriors.  They no
more approve suicide bombing than Cockburn or Chomsky, but they're also
not willing to let a tendentious definition of terrorism justify imperial
plans.  And we're going to need that sort of clarity if we're going to do
anything at all to put a crimp in the administration's plans.

Best, Carl