[Peace-discuss] re: angry black man

raia fink raiafink at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 13 20:41:23 CDT 2003

With all the power vested in my privileged white self, I can clearly say that
this attack is
not a COINTELPRO tactic, but the product of some very real frustration. I know
I've felt
some frustration along the way. I just don't have the courage to articulate it
so specifically.
And I am also ashamed to admit that I have been part of the problem. Like Carl
suggests,
one way to respond to this attack is to think (and act) seriously about
racism.
That includes not dismissing the attack. Another response would be to look
into some of
the alternatives this person offers.  AWARE doesn't need to follow them in
order to
address them, they are offers, not demands. In any event, I don't read this as
an attempt
to break up an effective political group, but a suggestion to make it more
effective.
I suppose AWARE has changed quite a bit since its origin, but we started out
as a
clearinghouse to establish connections among local social justice groups. How
that
evolved into a space where AWARE might be viewed a singular identity that
needs to
question whether the racism issue detracts from the anti-war issue is beyond
me.
AWARE has accomplished great things and adequately addressing this hurdle will
allow
for more of the same.
-Raia Fink