[Peace-discuss] (no subject)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 14 10:56:20 CDT 2003

I'm surprised at how bad these articles are, Mike.  First, they're
virtually incoherent.  E.g., what are we to make of sentences like, "Blind
cultural chauvinism among white anti-authoritarians is still the
superiority of money and alienation over that of free expression and real
choices"?  Does that imply that far-seeing cultural chauvinism among white
anti-authoritarians will represent the triumph of free expression and real
choices over money and alienation?  No, that's gibberish too.

Second, insofar as one can make sense of them, they're false -- and
contradictory.  The first ("Against Half-Assed...") seems to suggest that
authority itself is the problem and dismisses class (or seems to -- it's
hard to tell) with a typically wild-assed definition: "Class is an
abstract way to separate and define people according to social and
economic production roles -- which are themselves based on non-concrete
things like numbers, laws, morals, hierarchy, etc. -- reinforcing peoples'
repression (limiting and misdirecting peoples' full potential or desires
and needs that authority and economized life can't satisfy) and acceptance
of any oppressors/manipulators and their system of organizing and
interpreting life."  We're assured that "Class has functioned this way for
thousands of years."  We're nevertheless given what seem to be suggestions
about how all anti-authoritarians can work together.

The second article ("The White Anti-Racist is an Oxymoron...") on the
contrary asserts that the problem is "a global order in which white
supremacy and European domination are at large."  This author writes
marginally better that the first but seems preoccupied with dread-locks
and book deals.  Her prescription contradicts that above.

I'm sympathetic to anarchism, but it takes thought and discussion. Chomsky
(who calls himself an anarchist) quotes a French anarchist of the 1890s:
"anarchism has a broad back, like paper it endures anything" -- including,
he noted, those whose acts are such that "a mortal enemy of anarchism
could not have done better." [See his "Notes on Anarchism"
http://zmag.org/Chomsky/index.cfm.]

Authority needs to justify itself, but some can (e.g., my authority to
prevent my six-year-old from playing in traffic).  The problem is class
authority, that of the US economic elite and its allies elsewhere. This
authority can be exercised by people of color (e.g., Powell and Rice) and
hardly benefits all whites -- witness the vast number of poor and
oppressed whites, even in the US.  Of course racism (which I would
distinguish from prejudice) exists in many forms, and it is not easy to
see how it works, in part because charges of racism (notably
anti-Semitism) are often used nefariously.

But these articles do not aid the discussion much, it seems to me.

Regards, Carl