[Peace-discuss] Canadian Media

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 24 18:05:19 CDT 2003

Paula--

Newspapers in Canada are interesting.  Ownership is even more concentrated
than in the US -- the most concentrated in the industrialized world,
strangely enough -- but they're on the whole more interesting that in the
US. (Which raises question about all the attention being given to media
concentration here -- not that it's a good thing, but perhaps not
necessarily so much worse than the present arrangement, which is quite
bad.)

The Montreal English language daily is the Gazette, but you can also get
the other papers that are essentially national papers -- the venerable
Globe and Mail (for which Hemingway was a correspondent), Conrad Black's
National Post (a vicious right-winger, he also owns the London Daily
Telegraph, the Jerusalem Post, and the Chicago Sun-Times), and the Toronto
Star.

There are a number of "alternative" weeklies, and you might find it easier
to read the French papers than you think -- take a little dictionary.
(The Quebec daily is Le Soleil, I think.)

Have a good trip.  It's my experience that Canadians can be acute
observers of the US.  Regards, Carl