[Peace-discuss] Fwd:Ben Cohen Endorses Dennis (Circulate Widely)

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri Jun 20 18:47:23 CDT 2003

THE KUCINICH CAMPAIGN IS ON A ROLL with endorsements and dollars coming in  fast; yesterday's email fundraising letter from Dennis broke records in web  contributions...by far. Please add your donation before the June 30 filing  deadline: https://www.kucinich.us/contribute.php

Today, in advance of the MOVEON PRIMARY, Dennis's special campaign appeal  was emailed to 1.5 million members of MoveOn, our biggest mass communication  ever. The MoveOn Primary is next Tuesday and Wednesday. A good showing for  Dennis will mean a massive influx of volunteers and funds to our campaign.  If you are not yet a MoveOn Member, REGISTER NOW so you can vote for Dennis  next week: http://www.moveon.org/pac/reg/

Also today, Ben Cohen -- ice cream entrepreneur and Vermont's best-known  citizen activist -- endorsed Dennis for President.

STATEMENT FROM BEN COHEN
In this endorsement, I am speaking out as an individual -- and not on behalf  of any organization, business, government, labor union or armed force. Nor  does it imply that there will soon be an ice cream flavor named Kucinich  Kreme.

You know me as a Vermonter, an entrepreneur, a Grateful Dead fan, and a  longtime advocate for a peace dividend -- for providing money we need to  invest in our children, our schools, and our environment by reducing Cold  War-era Pentagon expenditures. There is one candidate running for President  who supports the values most important to me, and most critical to the  country. That candidate is Congressman Dennis Kucinich, the co-chair of  the Progressive Caucus, and the leader on Capitol Hill in challenging Bush  Administration foreign policies that make Americans less -- not more --  secure.

While others discuss incremental change, only Dennis Kucinich advocates  changing the way our government is run in order to reflect the values of  America's people. As Granny D says: "We are the people who believe in a  world of environmental beauty, of happiness and not exploitation, of  justice and not oppression and torture. A world safe for children... We  believe in international law and cooperative action."

How we spend our money as a nation reflects our values and beliefs. Look  at your personal check book, and it tells you what is important to you.  Our nation's checkbook tells us that our priorities are all wrong -- and  Kucinich is the one candidate bold enough to say so. He calls for funding  human needs such as universal healthcare, education, environmental cleanup  and expanded programs for the poor, the cities, the elderly, and he does  it at no additional taxpayer expense by shaving up to 15 percent of the  billion dollar a day Pentagon budget.

Because of our skewed national priorities, municipal and state governments  are in crisis, as are school districts. Other candidates offer compassionate  rhetoric about leaving "no child behind," but it's just lip service without  putting your money where your mouth is, and getting rid of tax breaks  benefiting the wealthy.

So in this election, voters should say: "Show me the money. What will you  cut? What programs will you expand?" I like the answers provided by Dennis  Kucinich.

On the subject of checkbooks and money, if you donate some cash to the  Kucinich campaign, it will help amplify his message that America needs to  reverse course -- and head toward peace and economic justice. And it's not  like he's going to get a donation from Enron or Hallibruton or the big  corporate PACs anytime soon. So check out his web site at  http://www.kucinich.us (Donate at https://www.kucinich.us/contribute.php)

My top priority in November 2004 is defeating George W. Bush, and I will try  to make that happen even if Dennis