[Peace-discuss] Important Resources

Charles Jenks charles at mtdata.com
Tue Jun 24 03:19:13 CDT 2003

Greetings - It's been a while since my last summary of website updates.

Since the late update of June 3 (concerning Glen Rangwala's new work and our
recording (mp3) of the meeting between Colombian activists and Jeremy
Corbyn, MP), we've added a lot to the site. Here are some hightlights of
original and contributed resources. (It's a bit long - perhaps I should send
out more frequent but shorter updates. I'm trying not to overburden folks
with emails.)

What you'll see that's news at http://traprockpeace.org

Announcements of

1) Doug Rokke tour on 'depleted' uranium - 5 dates confirmed so far with
local hosts from July 21 - August 7. Dates still open - call Sunny Miller at
413-773-7427 to host a local event.

2) Civil Liberties Conference - Greenfield, July 25-26 - all speakers set -
Frank Serpico, 7 pm, Friday. Saturday workshops with Attys. C. William
Michaels, Bill Newman and Mahsa Khanbabai, Prof. Christopher H. Pyle, Sandra
Boston, Leo Hwang-Carlos, Louis Battalen, Irvine Sobelman, and Ezzell
Floraniña. This will be a great conference. (In collaboration with
Greenfield Community College and many co-sponsors. See calendar for details
- http://traprockpeace.org/upcoming.html

3) Scott Ritter is coming to Western Mass on July 9th.  Watch for details
soon (note the date change - had been tentatively scheduled for July 2). He
told us there were not weapons of mass destruction!

Original Resources, Contributions and Our Coverage of Events:

* Asaf Darakovic, on of the world's leading scientific experts on 'depleted'
uranium, spoke with Sunny Miller in London.  Hear this important interview
at http://traprockpeace.org/durakovic19may03.mp3

*Sunny Miller interviewed Jihad Hamad, Ph.D. of Arab American University in
Jenin, Palestine. They both presented at an international conference on
conflict resolution in St. Petersburg, Russia in May. Hear the interview at
http://traprockpeace.org/GAH_0001g3.mp3

*Marc Herold contributed a new piece that compared the use of cluster bombs
by the US in various recent wars. The US has left 30-35,000 unexploded
bomblets in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq.
http://traprockpeace.org/SteelRain.html

*Doug Rokke contributed another piece on DU to us - "'depleted' uranium: US
has used it despite warnings and impact on people and environment" - at
http://traprockpeace.org/rokke06june03.html

*Norman Solomon contributes regular views on the media. The most recent is
the Media Politics of Impeachment -
http://traprockpeace.org/solomon19june03.html We have had the pleasure of
having to set up a separate archives for his work on our site -
http://traprockpeace.org/normansolomonarchives.html

*Mark McCarty is a new contributor. His "The Winnebagos of Death" - Just
Another Scam? anticipated by 10 days the official realization that the
mobile labs had nothing to do with germ warfare.
http://traprockpeace.org/Winnebagos.html and
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,977853,00.html

*David Keppel responded in typically brilliant fashion to Senator Lugar's
statement that the US may need to go after Hamas.
http://traprockpeace.org/keppel17june03.html

* Photo-album of 4th annual Peacemakers Awards for youth (in collaboration
with Interfaith Council of Franklin County)
http://traprockpeace.org/Awards2003/

* Audio of Campus Anti-War Network workshop on the war at home -
http://traprockpeace.org/CAN07June03PartA32min.mp3
http://traprockpeace.org/CAN07June03PartB35min.mp3
Traprock helped to arrange the recent CAN coordinating committee retreat at
the incredible Blue Mountain Center in New York State.  We were there the
week after MoveOn.  See the photoalbum of some of our country's dynamic
student activists at http://traprockpeace.org/CANRetreatJune2003/

* S. Brian Willson wrote a moving letter to John Kerry after his vote for
the war resolution.  It seems even more timely now.
http://traprockpeace.org/willsonkerry.html
The letter fits in well with my commentary on Kerry's statement that he was
'misled' by the Bush administration.
http://traprockpeace.org/hewasmisled.html

* Letter from Mary Trotochaud and Rick McDowell from Baghdad.
http://traprockpeace.org/baghdad20june03.html

There's more.
Peace, Charlie

Charles Jenks, attorney at law