[Peace-discuss] Re: what if you're wrong?

John Fettig jfettig at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 11 16:32:05 CST 2003

* Ron Alcorn <alcorn at cvn.com>:
> yes.  i would love to wait untill we are hit to respond . i wonder if
> a nuke went off in new york if the dead would still think that way
> better them dead over there than dead over here it dosnt matter to me
> let the terrorist hit us again i am in a safe place  you win i live
> out in the middle of no where  why should i care if the terrorist kill
> 14 million in new york let them come  why should i care if saddam
> keeps on killing his people  stop the war its not going to stop sadam
> or the terrorist.  you are right i will wait untill they knock on my
> door. sincerely ron

You are right.  A nuke going off in New York City would be horrific.
That's why we can no longer be passive about Saddam, or any
proliferation of nuclear weapons.  This includes N. Korea, Iran, as well
as Iraq.  But war in Iraq will not solve anything, it will only make the
problems of violence worse.  A multilateral inspection regime will be
able to disarm Saddam without a shot fired.  Just look at all of the
things that are turning up as a result of the inspections.

But don't get confused.  500,000 people is 500,000 people.  Regardless
of what nationality they are, or what country kills them, it's still
horribly, horribly wrong.

If you are really worried about nukes, you should stop being distracted
by Iraq (who do not have an active nuclear program, and this is
confirmed through inspections), and look at N. Korea.  They already have
nuclear weapons, as well as a delivery method.  They have missiles that
are capable of hitting our shores, no smuggling required.  But this
administration is doing a very good job of keeping the thoughts and
concerns of the american people off of the real threat, and focused on a
score that Wolfowitz, Perle, and Rumsfeldt have wanted to conduct for a
real long time (and they are using Sept 11 as a way to justify their
foregone conclusions).

The message is clear.  If you want respect from the United States, build
the bomb.  Is this the message you want sent around the world?

John