[Peace-discuss] Fwd: A real alternative to war on Iraq - MUST READ

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 15:26:01 CST 2003

Jay, I think there's a kernel of something good in
this plan, but in my opinion it's also seriously
flawed.  Hopefully others more insightful and
knowledgeable will chime in, too.

1.  I agree that ultimately Saddam Hussein must be
indicted by an international tribunal, but in order
for such a forum to have any legitimacy, there must
also be a basic principle of equality before
international laws.  The US must endorse and
supportthe International Criminal Court, for example,
and submit to its decisions.  Rule of law means
nothing if the law is only enforced selectively.

2.  Similarly, I think disarmament is the only way -
but not selective disarmament.  UN resolutions from
1990 call for "regional disarmament", don't forget,
and the US has actually been an impediment to nuclear
nonproliferation efforts.  The US needs to show some
leadershipin endingthe international arms trade once
and for all (treat it like the slave trade) and
particularly in NBC (a.k.a. WMD) disarmament.

3.  This part is surely right: "An American viceroy in
an occupied Iraq is the wrong solution. A true
democratic opposition must be identified and
developed, rather than simply identifying forces who
would contribute to a U.S. invasion."  The rest -
occupation, international administration - in my
opinion, assumes an awful lot and would most likely
defeat the purpose of establishing a real democracy.

4 & 5.   Sounds good to me.

6.  I think this suggestion falls farthest from the
mark.  The "war on terrorism" is a phantom, and not a
reasonable project in need of "reinvigorating".  A
real "war on terrorism" would look so different as to
be unrecognizable: close the school of the Americas
and other US-supported terrorist training camps, end
all US support for terror states (e.g. Colombia) and
terrorist policies (e.g. Israeli occcupation), support
international law as in #1 above and an end to the
arms trade as in #2 above, apply #3 generally, and
reverse course on global trade agreements/support for
neoliberal institutions (IMF, etc.).  Then the US
could legitimately call for a kind of "dechoucage" of
international terrorist networks, not top-down as now,
but as part of a bottom-up democratic groundswell.
And perhaps more importantly, that's the only way it
would actually WORK.

My 2 cents (and change, I guess, sorry).

Ricky