[Peace-discuss] The case against anti-war adventurism in the U.S. (fwd)

paul michael king pmking at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 17 11:11:48 CST 2003

We're going to war without having a real debate, either in the Congress or
in the country: this is often said by the antiwar opposition. Well, then,
instead of preaching to the converted, let's challenge the other side: I
propose a series of town hall debates at which we confront the advocates
of war, right and left, and expose them in full view of the American
people.

Both visually and intellectually, such a device is so much more
interesting than a sea of chanting protesters: it has a built-in dramatic
structure made for television. The 21st century equivalent of the
Lincoln-Douglas debates, re-enacted in hundreds of cities and towns across
the country: what better way to reassert the legitimacy of dissent and
throw down the gauntlet to the War Party? If the civilian advocates of
this war fail to pick it up, then they lay themselves open to the charge
of cowardice. We can then point to the anomaly of a War Party that doesn't
flinch at mowing down whole cities full of Iraqi civilians, but is too
scared to face their fellow Americans on the battlefield of ideas.

I don't agree with the rest of his article at all, but this idea really
appeals to me. What do others think? Can you imagine a Town Hall Meeting
with pro-war people?

..::Paul