[Peace-discuss] The case against anti-war adventurism in the U.S.

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Mar 17 15:07:29 CST 2003

I, for one, am all for supporting those who engage in civil non-violent
disobedience to protest this dreadful war. They may make a positive
impact, by their selfless example and commitment, on national discourse
and policy, the author's (Justin Raimondo) assertions to the contrary
notwiithstanding. At the least, they can be a symbol and rallying point
of our opposition.

The author minimizes the number of people who are anti-war, but in fact
we don't know the depth of opposition and uncertainty to the war in the
general population. His is a narrow, self-defeating, and insulting
polemic against those who are willing to accept the risks of overt
opposition to this war.

To oppose this war is also to resist the repressive state that
inevitably accompanies it. We ought not disparage (e.g., in using the
pejorative word "adventurism") those willing to sacrifice their comfort
and (even) freedoms in the cause of righting the terrorble (sic) wrongs
of this government.

Think of the haunting image of the Chinese student confronting the
tanks in Tianimen Square in Beijing. Or of the recent American women
tragically overrun by Israeli bulldozers defending the homes of
Palestinians.

MKB