in defense of disobedience Re: [Peace-discuss] The case against anti-war adventurism

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 16:32:06 CST 2003

I agree with Mort.

Howard Zinn wrote, during the Vietnam conflict, that
our problem is not disobedience but too much
obedience.  Raimondo is advocating obedience in the
face of major crimes against humanity, which I  think
calls for a much better argument than his (calling
those who take action "narcissicists" and
manufacturing farcical statistics.)

I do think that blocking traffic is not the best
choice, but wearing peace t-shirts or leafletting in
the mall alienates no one.  Beyond that, sit-ins at
*relevant* sites, like military recruitment centers
(or at the VA to demand recognition of the true costs
of war?), are just and fair.  And folks who invade
military installations and destroy military hardware
deserve our praise and thanks.  These illegal actions
do convert people, but not to the pro-war camp, as
Raimondo says.  Think of Gandhi and Martin Luther King
- did their nonviolent civil disobedience "alienate"
-- or win?

And if Raimondo is afraid of repression, he had better
give up all hope of effectiveness.  It is true that
violent tactics also invite repression, and those
tactics do alienate many people - but whenever
nonviolent protest has met violent repression, public
sympathy for the protest has always increased, not
decreased.  During the black liberation movement in
the 1950s and 60s, organizers went out of their way to
choose tactics and places that invited the crudest
repression.  Those images of water cannons, police
dogs, beatings, etc., are unforgettable to anyone who
has seen them.  They challenged the conscience of a
nation.  Many are planning to do the same in the event
of war with Iraq and we should support them in every
possible way.

Ricky