[Peace-discuss] Re: request for your reflection on war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 21 22:16:24 CST 2003

Reflections at the Beginning of a War

The reflection that occurs to me is fairly basic.  War is a matter of
killing people.  This war is particularly so, if the slaughter to be
carried out in an outburst of anti-Semitism by the government for which we
are responsible can even be called war, given the vast disparity of the
combatants' armaments.  The Irish patriot James Connolly wrote a century
ago, "One great source of the strength of the ruling class has ever been
their willingness to kill in defense of their power and privileges.  Let
their power be once attacked, either by foreign foes or by domestic
revolutionaries, and at once we see the rulers prepared to kill and kill
and kill."  The Bush administration, like those that preceded it, has
shown what Connolly calls "the readiness of the ruling class to order
killing, the small value the ruling class has ever set upon human life."
These killings -- crimes to our shame recognized around the world -- are
perpetrated by same gang of criminals who have been directing US policy on
behalf of an economic elite for more than twenty years.  I am particularly
mortified that these crimes should follow from a constant policy and a
plan that they have declared publicly -- a plan summarized by our client,
the war-criminal who is prime minister of Israel, as "First Iraq, then
Iran."  As Thomas Jefferson wrote, "Indeed I tremble for my country when I
reflect that God is just: that his justice can not sleep forever..."

  C. G. Estabrook, Ph.D., Visiting Scholar
  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign [MC-190]
  109 Observatory, 901 South Mathews Avenue, Urbana IL 61801 USA
  office: 217.244.4105 mobile: 217.369.5471 home: 217.359.9466
  <www.carlforcongress.org>