[Peace-discuss] Re: Disruptions…

Morton K.Brussel brussel at staff.uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 22 17:31:51 CST 2003

I tend to agree with Brian.

Disruptions can be useful, albeit capricious; they can also be self
defeating. It all depends… on many factors, and it is hard to predict
their effects on the power structure and those whom one wants to reach.
Some prove to be useful, others counterproductive.

Disruptions can be inspiring, drawing others into their orbit. For good
or bad. Disruptions can be a threat; they signal desired change.

The American revolution was a grand disruption (but it started slowly),
so too the French.  Those who fought for the civil rights for African
Americans, the abolitionists and continuing with Martin Luther King,
disrupted "business as usual". They were ultimately successful.
Examples are legion. Often, disruptions are severely repressed without
having succeeded in their aims to influence a larger public.

In any case one ought to  make sure that the message transmitted to
those disrupted, and to the broader community,  is clear. That is
difficult with an antagonistic media, but not impossible.

Perhaps there is a vital threshold in numbers needed to make a positive
impact, and to minimize state repression of the disrupters.

As to the relevance of all this to the events of last Wednesday, I draw
no conclusions except to oppose dogmatism on the issue.

Mort Brussel

Preferred email: brussel at uiuc.edu

Morton K. Brussel
2003 George Huff Drive