[Peace-discuss] lowe's etc: an alternative perspective

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 09:51:17 CST 2003

Peter,

Thanks for your perspective.  I totally agree with all
of your points.

In the short time I spent in the parking lot, I had
one police officer say thank you (2 other occasions
police thanked me and the 'security group' for our
efforts) for redirecting people to other lots.  I
think it would be really nice to send a letter to the
police to say we've had a very positive experience
with the Champaign police department.

I understand why people are upset with Lowe's.  I
talked to the manager before (on the phone) and after
the protest (in person).  On the phone, the manager
was sort of angry, but talking in person he said that
he didn't mind the parking until the crowds got in the
hundreds.  Although, I don't know how much this really
impacts his business, it could and he does have a
valid concern.  He has no idea how many people are
going to show up and park in his lot.  I really think
we should discuss this more before the petition is
sent.  He did seem pretty 'even handed' in wanting
only shoppers to park in the Lowe's lot.

Thank you so much Peter (and John) for redirecting
parkers to other lots.  I thought it was interesting
when the police officer came up and thanked you and
said 'I know standing in the parking lot isn't as much
fun and being with the group protesting, thanks for
doing it.'.  He was seriously grateful for your
efforts.

There were some really positive interchanges yesterday
between people (police and protesters/pro-war and
anti-war people) which I'm sure we'll talk about
tonight.

Linda