[Peace-discuss] lowe's etc: an alternative perspective

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 23 14:14:22 CST 2003

At mass this morning I found myself thinking about Peter's quite
reasonable reflections during a predictably inconsequential sermon.  As it
happened, one of the readings for the day was from the beginning of the
gospel of John: in it Jesus leads a militant political demonstration
(including notable civil disobedience) in the temple at Jerusalem.  The
author pictures him as saying, "Stop making my Father's house a
marketplace."

Our problem seems to be that we're trying to make a marketplace into the
Father's house -- i.e., we're trying to discuss serious matters, literally
matters of life and death, in a typical mall of mammon.  There's a
standard suggestion about the difficulty of serving both.

We're trying to preach in privatized, commercial space.  That's why we're
there -- to talk to the people who are going to the stores.  But it's been
pointed out that modern retail forms represent another privatization of
the commons -- there's no public square for us to talk in.

We might solve the immediate problem by moving to the edge, so to speak,
and walking a bit farther to demonstrate.  We might also point out to
merchants that they've confiscated public places, with the acquiescence of
our representative institutions, and they should make some allowances for
their occupation of that space (as for example "public accommodation laws"
did as a result of the black civil rights movement.)  Perhaps they could
avoid asking demonstrators to move their cars (or worse, towing them) if
their lot is only partly filled.

Perhaps we should also ask out public authorities -- i.e., the Champaign
City Council (remember to vote April 1 for the Green and AWARE candidate,
Ken Urban) -- to mandate public access to the "private" parking lots,
under a reasonable arrangement.

And we probably should point out vigorously to the merchants that we won't
shop in occupied public space unless that space is in part made available
for public purposes.

Regards, Carl