[Peace-discuss] a poor excuse at the Urbana post office

Ann-Marie Shapiro prairiewaves at insightbb.com
Thu Mar 27 20:13:28 CST 2003

My Syrian-American friend went to the Urbana post office today.  She wanted
to buy a magnet that had been previously available embellished with
something similar to "Bless the Feast" in Arabic.  She looked and looked and
looked, but couldn't find it.  Someone asked her if she looking for
something in particular, and when she described it, they told her, "Oh yeah,
we have that, there just isn't room to display it".  It is no big surprise
when my friend described to me the huge display of many many different
styles of magnets for which room had been made.  They easily located the
Arabic magnet in a nearby drawer and sold her two of them (she doesn't
expect them to be available for long).

I am thinking about going in there tomorrow with a video camera and
documenting the display, then asking about the magnet again, and getting
their excuse on film.  Can a private video camera be used in a post office?
What kind of reaction do you think they would have if I did this?

Ann-Marie