[Peace-discuss] death counts

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 00:45:30 CST 2003

First of Wounded Troops Return to U.S.

AP, March 28, 2003

WASHINGTON - At least four American service members
wounded in Iraq arrived here Friday — the first to
return from the battlefield to the United States.

The injured soldiers arrived about 8:30 p.m. EST at
Walter Reed Army Medical Center for what hospital
officials described as special treatment. The
officials refused to identify the wounded patients or
their units or discuss the nature of their injuries.

Two servicemen were carried into the hospital on
stretchers. A large, silky, brown teddy bear was tied
to one of the stretchers close to the patient's head.

Two others appearing dazed and tired, walked wearily
into the center with heavily bandaged hands. All of
them left Landstuhl Medical Center in western Germany
earlier Friday.

As of Friday evening, the Pentagon listed 28 American
soldiers killed in action, 104 wounded, 16 missing and
seven prisoners of war.

More than 30 wounded soldiers from the Iraq war have
been flown to Landstuhl. Nine more arrived there
Friday, one with serious wounds.