[Peace-discuss] vadalism occurrence

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Mon Mar 31 13:16:40 CST 2003

Just want to share with folks this very disturbing occurrence. My family and I were away for some days. When we returned late Saturday night there was something lying in the middle of the driveway, not far from the road. In the morning we went to inspect. There were four dead animals in front of our house, next to the No Iraq War sign. A big posum with a dead mouse in its mouth, a skunk, a rabbit and a squirrel. The possum and skunk are on the driveway, the squirrel and rabbit on the grass but our neighbors tell us they were all in a line on the driveway on Friday morning. I've just finished giving an interview to Channel 3 news, thanks to Ricky who has been working with them for coverage of vandalism to peace signs. By the way, our sign had been stolen soon after it was put up, and we had set out a new one a couple of weeks ago. We are the only house with a sign on our street although there are many in the neighborhood. Both of the neighbors I've talked to think it's because of the sign (in case you're wondering,we have fine relations with our neighbors and I can't imagine any other reason for this happening...). The neighbors called the police on Friday and an officer came out to look. I called them yesterday and they were rather dismissive -- can't say for sure why it's happened, maybe it's just road-kill(!), have to establish a pattern before can reasonably suspect something intentional, blah,blah,blah. Soon the animal removal people will be here. Now we're blessing the souls of those poor animals and trying to gain strength from their sacrifice. The report will be on Ch. 3 tonight at 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00.