Fwd: Re: [Peace-discuss] Flag flap

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 10 13:36:54 CST 2003

Would you say Bill Clinton was an "unconscious racist," too?  That sounds
to me like the sort of "thought-crime" described in 1984.

Dean was not embracing the Confederate flag.  He was awkwardly and
jocularly describing a social type, with a description he'd used before.
And he was asserting his wish to attract people of that type to vote for
him rather than for Republicans by means of (he wouldn't say this) social
democratic policies, policies that were in the real interest of
working-class whites as well as blacks. --CGE