[Peace-discuss] Flag Flap

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 11 14:32:00 CST 2003

Read Dean's whole comment, if you haven't done so, Matt.  I consider Dean
a perfectly conventional right-wing politician, against whom I'd have many
objections.  But his Confederate flag remark is not racist in any
interesting way; on the contrary, the whole comment suggests (crudely)
questions of class and social programs that bother both liberals and
conservatives in the US.  In fact, they often substitute questions of
race, with which they seem more comfortable, for them.

And I've just reread my comments under this subject line.  I can find no
sarcasm in them, sarcasm in the sense of "a sharp, bitter, or cutting
expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt."  (The feeble attempts at
humor are hardly bitter or cutting.)  Not that I think that sarcasm would
necessarily be out of place in these discussions: our interlocutors are
grown-ups and perfectly capable of taking care of themselves in
discussion.  We're talking about serious matters that require candor (like
yours), not condescension.

I'm reminded of the Monty Python routine about the Piranha brothers, Doug
and Dinsdale (a gangster named Vercotti is being interviewed):

	"Vercotti: Doug... (takes a drink) Well, I was terrified of him.
Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads
off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale was frightened of Doug.
	"Interviewer: What did he do?
	"Vercotti: He used... sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic
irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was
vicious..."

Would that I were as accomplished as Doug.  But what have I said that you
find sarcastic?  Regards, Carl