[Peace-discuss] Flag Flap

Matthew Murrey mjmurrey at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 13:10:54 CST 2003

I've been looking at the posts regarding Dean's
confederate flag comments. I think that it is a
complex issue.  After all I grew up in Florida and as
a boy scout used to think it was "fun" to fly a
confederate flag on my tent!  Since then I've
certainly had to reflect on my own ignorance and have
come to see the confederate flag as a potent symbol of
white racism (why else do some states' white citizens
cling to it so passionately?)

I personally think Dean's comment is a racist comment,
but understand the reluctance to then label him a
"racist."  These times we live in surely show that one
can support viciously racist programs and never make
an overtly racist comment.  And conversely, one can be
on the right side of many progressive and race issues
and still need to examine one's assumptions and
perceptions.

Added note:  Carl, I guess you know by now that I have
a great deal of respect for your ideas and insights,
but I wish you would avoid sarcasm when responding to
people who disagree with you.  To me sarcasm is a
strategy used to point out the stupidity or repugnance
of someone's ideas, not a way of really opening up or
challenging someone else--especially on a topic as
sensitive as race...yikes!

Matt Murrey