[Peace-discuss] rumors

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 14 10:02:52 CST 2003

Mark, what would we say to someone who argued, in the midst of the Second
World War, that Germany couldn't just pull out its occupying armies from
France and eastern Europe, and Japan couldn't just withdraw from China and
southeast Asia, because "chaos would result" (or "50,000 more civilian
deaths in the next six months")?

We'd probably suspect them of being disingenuous, because the argument is
obviously ludicrous.  It's therefore all the more remarkable that people
who are not being disingenuous are making a precisely parallel argument
about the US in Iraq.

I suggest that the American army of occupation should do just what the
German and Japanese armies of occupation should have done in 1944: Get
out. (And while we're at it, we should insist that our chief client's army
of occupation do the same thing.)

Regards, Carl