[Peace-discuss] rumors (response to Mark Bee)

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 15:42:21 CST 2003

Actually, I think "what happens if we just pull out"
is only half the question here, the other half being
"what happens if we stay?"  To really be rational
about this, we have to compare at least these two
scenarios, possibly with some third option of leaving
the UN in charge.  (I'd argue that this third
collapses into the second.)

So: what happens if we stay?  Without getting overly
descriptive, I think we do pretty much know that.
It's been happening since March: escalating violence,
directed at US troops, Iraqi civilian 'collaborators'
like the police we trained, and international
institutions (UN, Red Cross, etc.)

We don't really know what would happen if we pulled
out -- Chas. 'Mark' Bee's crystal ball notwithstanding
-- but I think it's fair to assume that some of this
violence would actually taper off fairly quickly.
Why?  Quite simply for the lack of targets.  No US
troops to shoot at, no new 'collaborators' being
trained, and if the international institutions leave,
too... well, you get the picture.

There may of course, be some nasty 'settling of
debts', as there was in France & Italy among other
places in the wake of the fascists' demise, and we
should never condone or excuse such brutality, but it
is not the USA's place to police Iraq.  (We have to
note what a piss-poor job of it we are doing, by the
way.)  This brings up another question, implied I
think by Carl's allegory: "what RIGHT have we to
stay?"

Liberals keep asking what right we have to leave --
possibly none, because ethically we probably have very
few rights in the instant matter, given that we
created and/or contributed heavily to this mess many
times over the last 20 years -- and positing our
responsibility to stay.  But what I think few people
are asking is the reverse: not only what right have we
to stay, but what responsibility we have to get out
and how quickly!

And I think Carl's parallel is a pretty good one,
actually.  I think that many Americans assume the
Iraqis can't possibly govern themselves, perhaps in
the back of our minds for racist reasons, perhaps for
more liberal-Leninist reasons like "they have no
experience with democracy."  Well, where do you get
this experience?  By living under a foreign occupation
or their appointed puppets?  I believe it was Thomas
Payne, yes of the American Revolution (etc.), who
famously pointed out how people 'learn' to govern
themselves: by doing it.

If we really support democracy, self-rule, autonomy,
etc., then our only option is to get out now.  Of
course, if we instead support paternalism, imperialism
and world domination by US and allied elites, then it
makes more sense to "stay the course."

Ricky