[Peace-discuss] Right to wealth

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 27 16:23:50 CST 2003

Unjustifiable wealth indeed.  Can you really look at the state of the
destitute in the world (and in the world's richest country) and defend the
concentration of the control of wealth in the hands of a tiny elite?  The
situation is getting worse, not ameliorating.

The economic process of the world is one of massive, on-going theft. The
self-styled "owners" are constantly stealing the labor and the resources
that belong to all of us by means of the wage-contract -- as one historian
says with justified bitterness, "The 'equal exchange between free agents'
that reproduces, hourly and daily, inequality and oppression."

Establishing democratic controls over land and labor against those who
claim to own them should be the goal of any progressive movement.  There
is no reason that the property required to produce food, clothing, and
shelter should be in private hands (primarily the dead hands of
corporations) -- where they have arrived by means of theft and revolution
-- and not controlled by all of us.  What do you think the invasion of
Iraq was about?

Nor is there any reason that the vast majority of humankind should have to
search desperately for someone to whom they can rent what makes them human
-- their work of head and hands -- in order to eat regularly.  It is
obscene to defend a system based on the forced prostitution of work.
Chattel slavery seemed quite reasonable to perfectly intelligent Americans
in an earlier generation, just as wage slavery seems so to ours.  But
another world is possible.  --CGE