[Peace-discuss] AWARE minutes

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 5 21:03:05 CDT 2003

AWARE Minutes
October 5, 2003

1. News of the Week - Carl Estabrook.

2. Coalition for Citizen Police Review.  Flyers and proposals were
distributed.  There is also a proposed ordinance and a mock complaint
form.  There is much support for a board on the Urbana City Council,
but they need visible public support to be able to appropriate
funding.  The Champaign City Council is not likely to support it.
They may also try to get a board at the county level.  The Board
would have limited powers since it would be advisory to the City
Council and the Chief of Police.  For more information or to help
out, contact cprb at lists.cu.groogroo.com.

3. Peter Roloff's visit to Tolono High School.  Tolono is a white
farming community. He spoke to an expanded current  affairs class on
the War in Iraq.  He was preceded the day before by a pro-war
speaker, Mark Thompson.  Most students thought that Saddam was
connected to 9/11. They watch Fox News. Half supported war on Iraq
and half against.  The most productive part was a discussion around
terrorism as crime, not act of war.  Ways to work with more high
schools will be taken on by the Speaker's Bureau Working Group after
the meeting.

4. Prospect for Peace.  We had about 35 folks, and the Bikers for
America had about 20 in support of the war.  We gave out about 200
flyers.  It was mostly peaceful but silly string was thrown at us,
and several cars were painted and silly stringed.  Those who had
painted cars are urged to report this to the police. We need to
always bring a camera and a cell phone. We need to call the Champaign
Police to let them know of our coming plans for Oct. 25th and the
first Saturday of November.  Oct. 25th is the national day of
protest, and we need to get a big turnout.  Peter will make a special
flyer.  We should have a sign-making party. Some will go to DC.
There will be a working group to take on the Oct. 25th events,
including security.

5. Farmers Market.  Few people came to the market compared to the
usual number.  This was also true in the number who came to the AWARE
table.  We collected only $30.  Peter asked for more volunteers to
sit at the table.

6.  Finances.  We have $2791.90.

7.  Events of the past week.
Kathy Kelly's 7 talks in 2 days.  She was remarkably good and
successful.  The Town Meeting had a good turn-out, almost all on the
peace side.  They had a hard time finding pro-war speakers who would
agree to talk.  Muhammad al-Heeti's talk was last, and he spoke from
the heart and showed moving slides.

Immigration  Freedom Ride rally.  Several hundred people from diverse
groups attended.  There was much positive energy, and there was good
national coverage.

Meridith has safely arrived back in Guatemala.

The Public i is out.  They need volunteers.  Meetings are Thursdays,
5:15 at the IMC.

There was a talk on neo-liberalism. Lisa will investigate doing
something similar for us.

8.  Upcoming events.
Noam Chomsky. At ISU, Bloomington, Braden Auditorium, Tuesday, 7 PM.
David Green is offering rides leaving at 1 PM.

Observing War Crimes. Wednesday at Illinois Program for Research on
the Humanities.  Also panel on Thursday, 4 PM at the Law School.

Latin American and Caribbean discussion. Wednesdays at noon in the
International Studies Building.

Anti-Columbus Day rally.  October 10th, 11:30 AM to 2 PM outside
Henry Administration Bldg.

School for Designing a Society House Theater.  Saturday and Sunday,
October 11 and 12, 8PM, 122 Franklin St., Urbana, off Broadway, North
of University. Suggested donation of $10 but sliding scale,
Refreshments, Seating is limited, reservations at 384-0299.

Progressive Hip Hop.  Wednesday at the Canopy Club.

AWARE Anti-Racism Working Group.  Meets tomorrow night, 9 PM at Al's place.

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328

tel. 217-333-6519