[Peace-discuss] AWARE minutes

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 21:33:20 CDT 2003

Correction on the finances...$2,791.90 was the balance
as of the 9/30/03 statement.  $2,198.02 is the balance
after 2 IMC checks, a check for calendars, and a check
for bumperstickers/buttons plus on week's worth of
donations.

Linda
--- Al Kagan <akagan at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> AWARE Minutes
> October 5, 2003
>

> 1. News of the Week - Carl Estabrook.
>
> 2. Coalition for Citizen Police Review.  Flyers and
> proposals were
> distributed.  There is also a proposed ordinance and
> a mock complaint
> form.  There is much support for a board on the
> Urbana City Council,
> but they need visible public support to be able to
> appropriate
> funding.  The Champaign City Council is not likely
> to support it.
> They may also try to get a board at the county
> level.  The Board
> would have limited powers since it would be advisory
> to the City
> Council and the Chief of Police.  For more
> information or to help
> out, contact cprb at lists.cu.groogroo.com.
>
> 3. Peter Roloff's visit to Tolono High School.
> Tolono is a white
> farming community. He spoke to an expanded current
> affairs class on
> the War in Iraq.  He was preceded the day before by
> a pro-war
> speaker, Mark Thompson.  Most students thought that
> Saddam was
> connected to 9/11. They watch Fox News. Half
> supported war on Iraq
> and half against.  The most productive part was a
> discussion around
> terrorism as crime, not act of war.  Ways to work
> with more high
> schools will be taken on by the Speaker's Bureau
> Working Group after
> the meeting.
>
> 4. Prospect for Peace.  We had about 35 folks, and
> the Bikers for
> America had about 20 in support of the war.  We gave
> out about 200
> flyers.  It was mostly peaceful but silly string was
> thrown at us,
> and several cars were painted and silly stringed.
> Those who had
> painted cars are urged to report this to the police.
> We need to
> always bring a camera and a cell phone. We need to
> call the Champaign
> Police to let them know of our coming plans for Oct.
> 25th and the
> first Saturday of November.  Oct. 25th is the
> national day of
> protest, and we need to get a big turnout.  Peter
> will make a special
> flyer.  We should have a sign-making party. Some
> will go to DC.
> There will be a working group to take on the Oct.
> 25th events,
> including security.
>
> 5. Farmers Market.  Few people came to the market
> compared to the
> usual number.  This was also true in the number who
> came to the AWARE
> table.  We collected only $30.  Peter asked for more
> volunteers to
> sit at the table.
>
> 6.  Finances.  We have $2791.90.

> [...]

=====
"There are some things you need just to stay alive:  food, water, a place to live, clothes to keep warm, help when you are ill or injured... Peace is having the things you need."  (Peace Begins with You by Katherine Scholes, children's book)