[Peace-discuss] Add your name to EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTION petition?

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Thu Apr 1 12:40:04 CST 2004

Dear friends,

I am writing to ask for your support in passing Illinois House Bill
6577 which would allow a pharmacist to dispense EMERGENCY
CONTRACEPTION (EC) without a prescription.  Here is what you can do
to help:

1. ALLOW US TO ADD YOUR NAME TO THE PETITION:

If you support increased access to EC, allow us to add your name to
the petition, by replying to this email (emailing brooke at shout.net)
with the following information:

    ___ Add me to the petition in support of HB 6577
    Name:
    Address:
    Phone:
    Email:

The text of the petition (to see what you're signing on to!) is
pasted at the end of this email.

2. DISTRIBUTE PETITION AMONG YOUR FRIENDS & COLLEAGUES:

In addition to adding your name to the petition, please also consider
volunteering to distribute the petition among your friends and
colleagues. If you intend to collect signatures, please let me know
(email brooke at shout.net) so that I can get you a copy of the petition
and we can get back in touch with you about when we'll need the
completed petitions back.

Thanks so much for your continued support! For more information, or
to volunteer, email me at brooke at shout.net or call (217) 352-6533,
ext. 17.

Sincerely,
Brooke Anderson

---------------

p.s. -- here is the text of the petition:

Dear legislators,

We, the undersigned, encourage you to vote YES for IL HB 6577 in
support of greater access to emergency contraception.

Emergency contraception (EC) is a safe, effective back-up birth
control method that can prevent pregnancy after unprotected
intercourse or if contraception fails. EC can reduce the risk of
pregnancy by up to 89% if taken within days of unprotected sex. EC is
not medical abortion. EC helps to prevent pregnancy, and does not
work if a woman is already pregnant. Greater access to emergency
contraception could drastically reduce unintended pregnancies and
abortions. However, women are often unable to get emergency
contraception because of the expense and difficulty of scheduling an
appointment with their physician. Making EC available through
pharmacist consultation would greatly increase women's access to
emergency contraception. Please support HB 6577 allowing pharmacists
to dispense emergency contraception without a prescription, but with
safeguards to ensure that EC is dispensed safely and appropriately.

Sincerely,

--
Brooke Anderson
Email = brooke at shout.net