[Peace-discuss] lawyer stuff

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 19 13:57:25 CDT 2004

Thanks Peter for asking the question. Here is my opinion. Carl asked
the group about having a preliminary discussion with Gerstein that
would be exploratory and without cost.  We would not ask him to do
anything at that meeting. We all agreed. My memory is not perfect,
but it seems to me that the next time we heard about this, we already
had a bill for $100.  Also, we got nothing from that meeting except
advice that we should write a letter.  Of course, we already knew
that and we are quite capable of writing such a letter. Ricky and I
are currently writing one.

In my opinion, we did not get anything from that meeting. And in my
opinion, I don't think we authorized spending the $100 before the
meeting. Whatever we think about Gerstein, I don't see how we gained
anything from that meeting.

In light of the facts that have come out about Gerstein, and not just
from the News-Gazette, I am even more opposed to spending our money
on him.  I heard Carl say that he was willing to pay several times.
Actually, I think that is the best solution.  I am not in favor of
throwing away $100 bills.
--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328