[Peace-discuss] Wasting time on John Kerry!

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 18:36:53 CDT 2004

Hi,

At his talk last night at the Channing-Murray Foundation, Carl made the
point that there is not that much difference between Kerry and Bush,
suggesting that perhaps switching the party in power might have a salutary
effect.  I thought that this is healthier view than Chomsky's accepting
Kerry as the lesser of two evils, but the conclusion is the same, Kerry as
president and the US continuing to go to hell in a handbasket.

Instead of wasting time on Republican/Democratic electoral politics, I think
we could be better spending our time trying to come up with a viable third
party alternative, and even if it's equivalent to "throwing away our vote"
this year (actually, I think voting Republican or Democrat is equivalent to
throwing away your vote, at least at the national level), Democrats will be
forced to pay attention to more liberal views, and if they don't, they'll
lose.  Meanwhile, key Democrats could conceivably be "picked off" and
persuaded to join a more liberal party.

Just my thoughts.

--Phil