[Peace-discuss] Tonight's meeting

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 25 21:50:02 CDT 2004

That was a pretty intense meeting tonight.  We have been working
together pretty smoothly these last two and a half years. I think we
can congratulate ourselves on that.  One of reasons for our success
is that we have respectful discussion.  For whatever reason, what
happened tonight was an exception to our rule.

We must provide an environment where people feel free to speak.  I
think only a small number of the folks in the room spoke tonight, and
unfortunately I think that is usually the case. So we need to work on
that a bit.

I think that the men tend to speak more than the women.  Perhaps we
(the men) need to be more sensitive to that, especially when we are
discussing questions having to do with women's rights and sexism.

We also need to be sensitive to the facilitator.  We need to make
that job easy, not difficult.  We need to give the facilitator some
help in encouraging everyone.  Likewise we need to support the
facilitator when someone goes on too long or speaks too many times in
a row. Everyone should remember that effective meetings will not
happen when people think they have the right to speak for as long as
they think they should.   We have to trust our facilitators to put on
the brakes.

I would especially like to hear what the women think about tonight's meeting.
--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328

tel. 217-333-6519