[Peace-discuss] Tonight's meeting

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 25 22:26:34 CDT 2004

Here's something that a woman thinks, Al.  Laura Nader, a professor of
anthropology at UC Berkeley (and sister of Ralph) speaks of "coercive
harmony," which she describes as "basically a movement against the
contentious in anything, and it has very strange bedfellows, from people
with various psychiatric therapy movements, Christian fundamentalists,
corporations sick of paying lawyers, activists who believe we should love
each other.  We are talking about coercive harmony -- an ideology that
says if you disagree, you should really keep your mouth shut."  (Nader,
Laura. 1995. Coercive harmony - The political economy of legal models.
Department of Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley. 25 p.)

Regards, Carl