[Peace-discuss] All is calm in Venezuela.

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 18:44:16 CDT 2004

The "Guarimba" (violent opposition strike) did not take place in Venezuela
this morning as planned.  No good explanation as to why, but my guess is
that it was a test to see how the government would respond.  I'm sure that
Otto Reich and Ambassador Shapiro had a chuckle over this.  Needless to say,
the government was prepared.  The opposition claims that the Guarimba
publicity was a trick to distract the public from the Chavez recall
referendum that is currently on hold, but that is patently false.  A
translation of a Venezuelan news article on this follows.

--Phil

Opposition blames Venezuelan government for failure of "Guarimba II"

VENPRES Miyeilis Morales Flores reports:  For the Secretary of the National
Defense Council, Melvin López Hidalgo, the rumor that the Venezuelan
government was behind the so-called “Guarimba II” in order to distract the
public’s attention from the recall referendum, is evidence of the failure of
one part of the opposition to organize its members.

On the program “En Confianza,” transmitted by State television station
Venezolana de Television, General Lopez Hidalgo called the rumor a ruse to
justify the failure of "Guarimba II".

Monday morning, some opposition leaders, such as Chacao mayor Leopoldo
López, were already commenting that the Guarimba scheduled for Monday “obeys
obscure government interests with the goal of diverting the citizens’
attention from the data turned in by the National Elections Council (CNE),”
which, according to the opposition group SUMATE, “is incomplete.”

“(Guarimba II) was an invention of the government to confuse the people
today (Monday), since we don’t have the complete data, and what we have is
bad.  At any rate, they took precautions,” explained the mayor, leader of
the opposition party Primero Justicia (Justice First).

Guarimba II wasn’t going to amount to anything.

Nevertheless, General Lopez Hidalgo affirmed that he received information
that the guarimba “wasn’t going to amount to anything, it was simply noise.
Logically, this caused internal problems, unnecessary worries for everyone,
but it was intended to show the international community that Venezuela
continues to have problems.”

He reiterated that these kinds of plans seek to create confusion in the
heart of the government and in security agencies in a kind of “war of
attrition.”

Lopez Hidalgo indicated that the state security agencies analyzed the
document that circulated on the internet and reached several conclusions,
among them “that everything would go well,” and he noted several
contradictions, including the shutting of access roads when the goal is to
take the city.

Another piece of data that appeared suspicious to General Lopez Hidalgo is
that the opposition’s plans were made clandestinely and communicated to
their followers at the last moment.

When asked about the so-called “Liberty Command,” the general said that it
was an organization similar to the brigades created after the petroleum
strike to fend against supposed attacks by “Chavez’s hordes.”

He added that it’s a question of “a small group that tries to look like
many, when in reality we know through the security agencies that each time
the groups are smaller because they have a lot of internal conflict.”