[Peace-discuss] Re:[Peace] Change is afoot at WILL-AM...

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 12 11:31:27 CDT 2004

Jen,

You are welcome.

I'm happy to try to answer questions and to clarify information where
clarification is needed.

WILL is going to be starting a search for a new AM reporter as soon as
possible.  Ali's departure leaves us short staffed during this election
year.

Kimberlie

-----Original Message-----
From: jencart [mailto:jencart at mycidco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 9:38 PM
To: Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu; peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com
Subject: Re:[Peace-discuss] Re:[Peace] Change is afoot at WILL-AM...

Hi Kim,

Thanks for all the corrections -- no end to my conclusion-jumping @ times,
not such a good idea even tongue-in-cheek......

I tho't PBS was the umbrella that covered both PBR and PBS TV, both local
and national.  Thanks for setting me straight.

I am glad to know that there will be permanent replacements @ WILL, and that
a team -- w/ you as a member -- will decide policy.  Hopefully there will be
a compromise that we all can support.

Jenifer C.
Hi, all.  I get the digested version of Peace discuss.

In the latest version I received, Jen C, wrote:

"Hi AWARE Folks,

If Ali's leaving in 2 weeks, WILL may have already hired her successor who
might attend AWARE on 8/22 in her place...."

We haven't hired her successor. We haven't even posted the job as open.  We
don't move that fast around here.  Jay Pearce has been our interim station
manger for one year.  WILL's plan is to hire a station manager in October.

[snip ]

"Hey, maybe she's leaving bec PBS has become so right-wing!!!  Yeah, let's
start THAT rumor...."

Ali worked for WILL Radio.  WILL is an NPR affiliate.  WILL TV is the
PBS-affiliate.

[snip]

"Re censorship @ AM 580: Is anyone @ WILL actually gonna admit to having the
power/making final decisions about what does and what does not get aired???
I predict the amorphous "we".

As outreach coordinator at WILL, I hope to be one of the decision makers in
the above.  I have argued, to some success, that public commentaries are
both outreach and broadcasting. The decision to air public commentaries
would be a paradigm shift for WILL and such a shift would be made by a group
of decision-makers not a sole individual. Once a radio station manager is
hired in October, WILL will involve this person in the decision-making
process.

Kimberlie Kranich, WILL
Outreach Coordinator

Peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com