[Peace-discuss] Quotes from Buchanan's new book

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 22 22:50:24 CDT 2004

[As I mentioned at the meeting tonight, paleocon Pat Buchanan has a new
book that -- once again -- shows how part of the conservative movement in
the US offers a more serious critique of the war than can be found among
most liberals.  Of course there are other points in Buchanan's position
that many of us in AWARE would object to.  But no one should think that
the anti-war movement belongs to self-styled liberals or (worse) to the
Democrats. Below are choice morsels from Buchanan, "WHERE THE RIGHT WENT
WRONG: How Neoconservatives Subverted The Reagan Revolution And Hijacked
the Bush Presidency."]

*"The Beltway Right has entered into a civil union with Big Brother."

*Neoconservatives are "the boat people of the McGovern revolution."

*"Nine days after an attack on the United States, this tiny clique of
intellectuals was telling the President of the United States ... that if
he did not follow their war plans, he would be charged publicly with a
'decisive surrender' to terrorism."

*The Bush Doctrine is a "prescription for permanent war for permanent
peace, though wars are the death of republics."

*The Bush National Security Strategy "is the imperial edict of a
superpower out to exploit its present supremacy to make itself permanent
Lord Protector of the universe."

*"This is democratic imperialism.  This will bleed, bankrupt and isolate
this republic.  This overthrows the wisdom of the Founding Fathers about
what America should be all about."

*"...listening to the neoconservatives, Bush invaded Iraq, united the Arab
world against us, isolated us from Europe, and fulfilled to the letter bin
Laden's prophecy as to what we were about.  We won the war in three weeks
-- and we may have lost the Islamic world for a generation."

*"...if Iraq collapses in chaos and civil war, there will be a ferocious
fight in this country over who misled us and who may have lied us, into
war ... into the dock will go the neoconservatives whose class project
this was..."

*"Terrorism is the price of empire.  If we do not wish to pay it, we must
give up the empire.'

*"...terrorism is not a nation, a regime, or an army.  Terrorism is a
tactic, a technique, a weapon fanatics, dictators and warriors have
resorted to through history.  If ... war is the continuation of politics
by other means, terrorism is the continuation of war by other means."

*"We are not hated for who we are.  We are hated for what we do.  It is
not our principles that have spawned pandemic hatred of America in the
Islamic world.  It is our policies."

*"U.S. dominance of the Middle East is not the corrective to terror.  It
is a cause of terror.  Were we not over there, the 9/11 terrorists would
not have been over here."

*"Bush has compiled a fiscal record of startling recklessness."

...etc.