[Peace-discuss] models for change

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Dec 1 13:56:35 CST 2004

Now that I have made it clear that I will not be accountable to armchair
"activists," let us look at a model of organizing that works:  the
movement to get DemocracyNow! on the air.

Randall took the lead on this and tireless did the work to make it happen.
Randall and those who helped make this happen have made Urbana a better
place because:

1)  DemocracyNow! *will* go on the air January 3rd according to our Chief
Administrative Officer who I have been conversing with on this.  This
means that Champaign-Urbana will have alternative news reporting on T.V.
every day of the week for the first time in Urbana history.

2) Thousands of people are now aware of this valuable local resource -
public access TV - and our membership is growing.

3) People feel they can make real change on the city level as a result of
this success.

Randall used me as a resource to make this happen; he did not whine and
complain when I did not do it for him simply because he thought it was the
right thing to do.  Throughout, he gave me the resources and support I
needed to support the movement to get DN! on.

Kimberlie, Carol and others did very similar work with Champaign council
members to prevent police acquisition of tasers.  They did the work of
getting the resources into the hands of Kathy Ennen, Giraldo Rosales, and
Mike LaDue so they could form convincing arguements against tasers and
vote no.

So often people approach me as though I am the Queen of Urbana and can
wave my magic wand to make everything as it should be.  Queens operate in
a monarchy.  We have this messy thing called Democracy which means we have
to work with lots of different people to make change.

I hope in adding this addendum to my last e-mail, it better explains the
model of what I need as a progressive council member to make real change
and not just hot air.

We have lots of opportunities this coming election, let's not squander
them.

thanks,
Danielle