[Peace-discuss] response to Carl

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 1 14:08:55 CST 2004

You confirm my account of your remark, Danielle: "... if you were asking
me to fight for 24/7 free speech in the mall -- going so far as to kill
the project over that issue -- I would not."  And, as I said, I think that
opinion is general on the Urbana city council, as the Wal-Mart issue
indicates.

But civil liberties are at stake here -- freedom of speech and freedom of
assembly.  The Bill of Rights guarantees them for the public square, but
we know that paper rights mean little unless people insist upon them.  As
malls take over the function of public squares, those rights must be
insisted on there, as well -- "24/7."  And that must be done by political
authorities at the state and local levels, because courts recognize rights
only when people insist on them.

You said that you were unwilling to insist on them in this case for fear
of breaking the deal, but I think you should.

Regards, Carl