[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Re: UBA Letter

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 3 11:56:36 CST 2004

Your comments seem quite right, Mort.  Lenin also said that the
bourgeoisie would sell the rope with which it was to be hanged -- but
apparently not the mall space where it might be criticized.

Malls as the new public squares must recognize the rights that the Bill of
Rights made governments recognize more than 200 years ago. More than a
generation ago, US businesses were forced to recognize rights of public
access.  Now they apparently must be forced to recognize civil liberties.
We have to insist that our public representatives do that. It's happening
across the country, and Urbana has an opportunity to do so in regard to
Lincoln Square.

Given what seems to be the fecklessness of the Illinois courts on this
matter, it's probably pointless to sue them -- except to publicize the
matter.  The route has to be political primarily, I suppose, but I think
we may want to take advice on a suit, if only for the publicity. --CGE

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Morton K.Brussel wrote:

> I received the following letter from Paul Tatman, Board President of
> the Urbana Business Ass'n.
>
> November 28, 2004
>
> Thank you for your recent letter regarding the Market In The Square. I
> appreciate your position concerning policies governing the indoor
> market. As you are aware, there are inherent differences between the
> outdoor market and the indoor market. The outdoor market is held on
> public property and is completely accessible to the public, including
> vendors, nonprofit groups and shoppers.
>
> The indoor market is held on private property that creates certain
> parameters that do not apply to the outdoor market. The property of
> Lincoln Square management is very clear. Political groups are not
> allowed to participate in political activities inside the mall.
>
> The Market in the Square is meant for vendors wishing to sell
> locally-made and locally-grown products to shoppers inside the mall.
> The Management reserves the right to approve or deny individual vendors
> based on mall policies.
>
> Lincoln Square has shown committed support for nonprofit and community
> groups over the years and will continue to do so.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Paul Tatman
> Board President
> Urbana Business Association
>
> Nothing new here. There is no attempt to reconcile our requests with
> their rigid(?) rules, to admit that in fact the public subsidizes the
> Mall operation with its business and (perhaps?) with its taxes. Nor is
> their any attempt to define what is encompassed by "political"
> (Girl/boy scouts?, VFW?, church groups?,
). Does political mean